Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Missouri hunters, ages 6 through 15, harvested 2,197 deer during the statewide firearms late youth deer season, Dec. 29-30.
Top counties were Callaway with 55, Putnam with 47, and Camden with 45.
Young hunters shot 2,193 deer during this portion in 2011. Young hunters also checked 19,277 during the early statewide firearms deer youth weekend on Nov. 3-4.
The late youth portion concluded this year’s firearms deer season with a total harvest of 257, 307. The second segment of the deer archery season remains open through Jan. 15.
According to MDC, Missouri has more than 511,000 deer hunters, including about 70,000 under age 16. Deer hunters spend about $690 million in the state each year on related activities. This has an overall economic impact of $1.1 billion in Missouri each year and supports almost 12,000 jobs.
More like this story
- Deer harvest 14,921 for alternative methods portion of season Courtesy of MDC
- Firearms deer harvest continues to straggle
- Hunters check 11,967 deer in alternative-methods hunt
- Young hunters check 18,091 during early youth hunt
- Youth bag 18,676 deer during early hunt while sportsmen check-in 5,929 turkeys
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting